Thursday, 27 April 2017

Sights of Abuja: A bananbola (scavenger) on duty .

A scavenger doing his rounds in Kuje area. Bananbolas are common in the suburbs of Abuja.

Minister denies saying President Buhari would now be working from home.

”He (the President) wanted to rest today. .

“He asked the Vice President to preside over today’s meeting.

“In addition, he also asked that all his files be taken home to him and he will be working from home today .”

The Minister of Information, Mr Lai Mohammed has denied media reports that he said President Muhammadu Buhari would now be working from home.

Citing the above portion of his address to the press shortly after Wednesday's Federal Executive Council meeting in Abuja, Mohammed lamented that a section of the media chose to misrepresented him.

Speaking through his Special Adviser, Mr Segun Adeyemi, the minister said that “the President only decided to work from home today, not that he has decided to work from home henceforth.”

Monday, 17 April 2017

PMB marks third anniversary of Chibok girls abduction

Three years after Boko Haram terrorists snatched over 200 female students of Chibok Secondary School, the Federal Government has assured that it is still making efforts to secure their freedom.

In a statement to mark 3 years of the sad event, President Muhammadu Buhari said that his government was still in touch with the Chibok girls abductors in order to ensure their safe release.

Read the full statement below.

On April 14, 2014, three years ago today, Nigeria suffered one of the worst crimes committed against its citizens - the abduction of schoolgirls from Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, by the vicious terrorist and insurgent group, Boko Haram.
Upon the inception of this administration in May 2015, it will be recalled that this militant group occupied no fewer than 14 Local Government Areas in the North East of the country and posed a serious threat to other parts by unleashing fear and mayhem through the use of surprise and suicide bombing.
The menace of this terrorist group was a great challenge to the resolve of our administration to implement the Change Agenda. We, therefore, pledged to reverse the situation, which constituted a threat to the sovereignty of the country.
We were determined to secure the release of the Chibok girls and others forcefully abducted from their homes and communities and retake the occupied territories.
Determined to secure the freedom of the abducted girls and recover lost territories, this administration gave the necessary political and logistical backing which energised gallant members of our armed forces and other security agencies to overrun the headquarters of Boko Haram in the Sambisa Forest and scatter the terrorists from their strong base.
Today, the group has been degraded and is no longer in a position to mount any serious, coordinated attack, other than sporadic suicide attacks on soft targets. Even at that, their reach is very much confined to a small segment of the North East where they had previously held sway unchecked.
Nigeria and indeed the entire world, must however, recognise that terrorism has no borders and remains a growing concern which calls for collective efforts to curtail.
I, therefore, call on all Nigerians and residents in the country, to remain extra vigilant and report any suspicious element or group to the security agencies. We cannot afford to let down our guards. Under my watch, no group will hold the country to ransom.
On the Chibok girls, we have had reason to celebrate the return of twenty-four of them and thousands of other Nigerians who were forcibly abducted by the terrorists.
As a parent, I am eternally grateful to God that some of the girls were found alive and have been reunited with their families. Government is doing all within its powers to reintegrate the freed girls to normal life. Furthermore, Government is in constant touch through negotiations, through local intelligence to secure the release of the remaining girls and other abducted persons unharmed.
My special appreciation goes to the parents and families that have endured three years of agony and waiting for the return of their children. I feel what you feel. Your children are my children. On this solemn occasion, my appeal is that we must not lose hope on the return of our remaining schoolgirls.
Our intelligence and security forces, who have aptly demonstrated their competence, are very much equal to the task and absolutely committed to the efforts to find and return the schoolgirls and others abducted by Boko Haram.
I also thank Lake Chad Basin countries, friendly nations and international partners, who at various points in the last three years have offered their support for Nigeria.
Like I have repeatedly said, the Federal Government is willing to bend over backwards to secure the release of the remaining Chibok girls. We have reached out to their captors, through local and international intermediaries, and we are ever ready to do everything within our means to ensure the safe release of ALL the girls.
I wish to reassure the parents of the Chibok girls, all well-meaning Nigerians, organisations and the international community that as a government, we are unrelenting on the issue of the safe return of our children.
I trust God that soon, our collective efforts will be rewarded with the safe return of our schoolgirls to their families, friends and their communities.

MUHAMMADU BUHARI
President, Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Wednesday, 12 April 2017

Buhari forwards names of CBN nominees to Senate

President Muhammadu Buhari has forwarded the names of three nominees to the Senate for confirmation as Non-Executive Directors of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN Board.

"In line w/ @cenbank Act 2007, I have forwarded a list of nominees to
@NGRSenate for confirmation as Non-Executive Directors of the CBN Board

"The nominees are as follows: 1. Prof Ummu Ahmed Jalingo (NE) 2. Prof Justitia Odinakachukwu Nnabuko (SE) 3. Professor Mike I. Obadan (SS)," he said via his Twitter handle @MBuhari on Wednesday.

Tuesday, 11 April 2017

El-Rufai publishes salary, security vote, asks NASS to do same

“In February 2017, the Kaduna State Government paid the Governor a net salary of N470, 521.74, with the following details:
Basic Salary N185,308.75
Hardship Allowance N370,617.50
Gross Pay N555,926.25
PAYE N85,404.51
Total Deduction N85,401.51
Net Pay N470,521.74."

Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on Monday published his salary and security vote in response to the challenge thrown at him by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Yakubu Dogara.

Apart from the above paragraph detailing his salary for the month of February, the Governor also published his security vote for 2017.

In a statement issued in Kaduna by his Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Samuel Aruwan the governor gave the following details of his government’s security vote.

“As regards Kaduna State Security Votes, once again, if the Honourable Speaker had run an online search he would have discovered the details of our spending priorities on security as a State Government.

“As our Kaduna Comprehensive Security Architecture (KADCoSA) outlines, the State is directing security spending on four pillars; Justice, Technology, Community Engagement and Support to Security Agencies.

“The 2017 budget details specific amounts: N1.5bn (one and half billion naira) for the Procurement & Installation of CCTV Cameras for Monitoring and Surveillance towards Reducing Criminal Activities within the Metropolis; N193m (one hundred and ninety-three million naira) for Procurement of Geoposition Interceptor and location of GSM UMTS System to Check the Trends and intercept/locate kidnappers’ GSM calls; N265m (two hundred and sixty-five million naira) for the Procurement of Drones/Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) to identify locations of armed bandits in our Forest Reserves across the state and the Establishment of a Forensic Laboratory to assist in determining substantial evidence in cases that otherwise proved difficult in the past.

“In addition, N2.6bn (two billion and six hundred million naira) is allocated in 2017 to support the network of federal Security Agencies in Kaduna with communications, logistics and materials.”

He went on to challenge the leadership of the National Assembly to publish the details of their own budget.

“The call to #OpenNASS is not a personal one. It is one which the leadership of the National Assembly owes to all Nigerians. It is therefore disingenuous for the Speaker to use State Government budgets as the excuse for the opacity of the NASS budget” he said.

Monday, 10 April 2017

Nigerian army holds drills in Sambisa forest (photo)

Former battle ground and no go area becomes a training ground as Nigerian troops now hold drills in Sambisa forest.

See photo.

Thursday, 6 April 2017

Call for Buhari's resignation lands suspended Rep in more trouble

Suspended member of the House of Representatives, Hon Abdulmumini Jibrin is in trouble again as members of his constituency have protested his call for President Muhammadu Buhari to resign.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, hundreds of protesters from Bebeji/Kiru Federal Constituency in Kano State stormed the state headquarters of the All Progressives Congress, APC to condemn the law maker's call which they described as irresponsible.

While presenting a petition to the state APC Chairman, Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas, the Kofa Ward  Chairman, Alhaji Hudu Musa said that Jibrin's call did not represent the views of the constituents.

“The entire people in the constituency are totally against the statement made by the lawmaker,” he said.

Speaking at the occasion, the APC local government chairmen of Kiru and Bebeji, Alhaji Muntari Isiyaka and Alhaji Sani Kanti-Ranka respectively called for punitive measures to be taken against the law maker.

“We are here to inform the party leadership that the people of the constituency are not happy about the statement he made against President Muhammadu Buhari.

“We hope the party will take the necessary punitive measures against him.”

NAN

Saturday, 1 April 2017

PMB approves new appointments for NTA, FRCN

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved new appointments into the executive management of the Nigerian Television Authority, NTA and the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria, FRCN.

The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adeshina announced the appointments in Abuja on Friday.

He said that the new Chairman of the Board of the NTA is former presidential spokesman, Chief Duro Onabule.

The Executive directors of NTA include Dr Steve Egbo (Administration and Training), Mr. Abdul Dembos (Marketing), Mr. Mohammed Labbo (News), Mrs Fatima M. Barda (Finance), Mr. Stephen Okoanachi (Engineering) and and Mr. Wole Coker (Programmes).

At the FRCN, Mr. Aliyu Hayatu has become the Chairman , while Mr. Buhari Auwalu and Mr. Yinka Amosun, are Zonal Directors, Kaduna and Lagos, respectively.

New appointments were also made at the Nigerian Film Corporation, and National Theatre and National Troupe of Nigeria, where Dr Chika Maduekwe, and Comrade Tar Ukoh have become the General Manager and Artistic Director respectively.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that at the National Council for Arts and Culture, Otunba Olusegun Runsewe is now the Director-general while the National Film and Video Censors Board, has Mr. Folorunsho Coker as Director-General.

At the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, the Vice President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, is Chairman , while the new Director-General is Engr. Mustapha Yunusa Maihaja.

Other members of the NEMA Board include the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Engr. David Babachir Lawal; and Captain Talba Alkali, representing the Ministry of Transport and Aviation.

Ambassador Rabiu Dagari  represents the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Dr Ngozi Azadoh, Ministry of Health; Alhaji Muhammadu Maccido, Ministry of Interior; Engr. Ajisegiri Benson Akinloye; Ministry of Water Resources, AVM Emmanuel Anebi; Nigerian Armed Forces; and AIG Salisu Fagge Abdullahi, Nigerian Police Force.

NAN

Go home and rest: Read Hon Jibrin's advice to Buhari.

AbdulAbmJ
"Is this the Muhammadu Buhari we know? the no nonsense general? Noooooo something is wrong! if not, we would have seen more decisive actions."

@AbdulAbmJ
"Well, things are not adding up! uncertainty and crisis everywhere, we are moving too slow when we can move faster. Is the C-in-C even aware?"

The above were tweets by suspended member of the House of Representatives, Hon. Abdulmumin Jibrin who represents Kiru/Bebeji Federal Constituency of Kano State.

The lawmaker followed up with  further tweets in which he advised President Buhari to resign on health grounds.

Read the whole thing below:

“PMB, TIME TO LET GO: So many issues are left unattended even small issues that a presidential cough can deal with are left hanging.”

“Supporters are worried, understandably resorting to grumbling in hush voices while keeping bold faces and holding on to hope and prayers”

“The govt has so many soft target for internal and external opposition to feast. We must tell ourselves the truth rather than live in denial”

“At PMB's age, working actively for over 50 years , even without his present health condition, his capacity will be greatly challenged”

“Mr president himself admitted that he has never been this sick in his entire life which makes the entire scenario really worrisome”

“Then we are reminded every day that PMB will travel abroad again to attend to his health as if it is just normal and we should celebrate?”

“I believe that the combination of these two factors of his age and health situation has slowed down the pace of PMB and the APC govt”

“This has become clearly noticeable because it is a time that the country is expected to be on auto cruise in dealing with its challenges bearing in mind that the present APC government is fast running out of time yet things continue to go even slower, slower and slower!”

“The more PMB appears on camera, the more the narrative of his health situation takes the center stage and the uncertainly it creates”

“It is a narrative that has over powered what ever official function Mr President is discharging since his return from medical vacation”

“PMB gave his all to Nigeria. He is a great man, an enigma like Mandela. If we truly love him, We must not allow him to be rubbished”

“Life and health belongs to God but the more I see pictures of Mr President, the more I am convinced he needs to go and rest. He needs it!”

“The president I see on camera needs full home care not office, moderately quiet life, enough rest and quality time with his family|

“Sometimes there is no harm in been driven in a car you labour to buy and who knows? You might even enjoy the ride better on owners' seat”

“PMB should opt for or encourage to accept a negotiated exit. The country can not afford a sort of part time president at this time”

“This is not as easy but it is doable. I do not think PMB is obsessed with power, I only think the practical way to go about things is to key in the interest of those who are or can be an obstacle around the president for fear of losing their positions or relevance”

“The interest of PMB himself, his family and friends, some officials and regional sentiments are interest that should be addressed”

“If we truly love PMB, we must apply some urgent diplomacy, resolve these issues quickly, move on and save the country valuable time”

“Mr President can be giving a special concession to nominate a new VP. We should expect that he nominates a very competent northerner”

“A nominee that can get things done and have the capacity to unite the north and assuage it feelings for losing the presidency again”

“We the northerners should accept it as destiny, may be Almighty God is so disappointed with the present generation of northern leaders”

“And may be God wants to reserve the northern presidential slot for the younger and vibrant northern generation that will come after us”

“I also believe Mrs Buhari is competent enough and can be considered for a cabinet position. She has paid her dues in APC, anyway”

“The incoming President will have to do some diplomatic shuttle to few powerful officials to address what ever their fears may be”

“A committee of all former heads of states, APC leaders and DSS can work together to push through this agenda in our collective interest”

“I apologise to any body who might misunderstand my tweets or feel offended. I have to love PMB even more and have nothing against him”

“But this is my candid opinion and advice. It may not be the case or perfect but it has conviction of my conscience and I will sleep well”

“I have listened to many arguments, non is worth the life of PMB. He has done his best. I believe it is time he let go. God bless you all”

Cookies


We use Cookies to store information about visitor preferences and to record user specific data on visits and pages the user views in order to provide a custom experience.

With regard to third party advertisers, Abujacitynews has no access or control over these cookies.
You should review the respective privacy policies on third party as servers for more information on their practices and how to opt out.

If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through you web browser options. Instructions for doing this and other cookie related management can be found on the specific web browser's websites

About

Links


This blog contains links to other blog/websites. Please be informed that Abujacity news is not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites. When you leave this blog, please read the privacy policy of every website you visit as this privacy policy applies only to Abujacitynews Blog.

Pages