President Muhammadu Buhari has described as unhelpful, the attitudes of some Nigerian politicians and electorates during elections.
He cited the recent elections in Kogi and Bayelsa States where some citizens were denied the use of card readers and permanent voter cards despite the enthusiasm that followed their introduction into Nigeria’s electoral system.
Buhari said this on Tuesday while receiving the newly elected members of the Inter-Party Advisory Council IPAC Executive Committee at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The president urged Nigerians...
Tuesday, 8 December 2015
Gunmen burn village, rustle 200 cows.
Posted on 07:24 by Steve Igbokwe
Two days after gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists raided Takulashi village near Chibok, looting foodstuff and rustling 200 cows in the process, the village once again came under attack by armed assailants last Sunday.
According to eye witnesses, terrorists on foot and bicycles invaded the farming community at dawn on Sunday, shooting indiscriminately and setting homes on fire.
“They burnt more than100 homes in the village. Only five houses were spared the inferno,” said an eyewitness resident in the village.
The attackers were...
Monday, 7 December 2015
Social Media Bill: Count me out, Buhari tells Nigerians
Posted on 22:28 by Steve Igbokwe
As far as the right to criticize political and public office holders is concerned, President Muhammadu Buhari is on the side of free speech.
Buhari on Monday washed his hands off the Social Media Bill which has already passed second reading in the Senate.
In a statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu, Buhari said that the bill was against the rights of Nigerians to free speech which he swore to uphold as enshrined in the constitution.
Shehu said that “The President won’t assent to any legislation...
SERAP petitions UN against Social Media Bill
Posted on 22:28 by Steve Igbokwe
The UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression, Mr. David Kaye last week received a petition by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, SERAP against the Social Media Bill.
In the petition, SERAP urged Mr David Kaye to use his "good offices and position to urgently request the National Assembly of Nigeria, specifically the Senate, to withdraw a bill which if passed into law would undermine the internationally recognized right to freedom of expression and press freedom on...
How FG Will Fund 2016 Budget
Posted on 22:28 by Steve Igbokwe
Minister of National Planning and Budget, Udoma Udo Udoma at the end of the Federal Executive Council meeting in Abuja on Monday told State House correspondents how the Federal Government plans to fund the six trillion naira 2016 budget.
“We will get the funding from two sources. We are looking at trying to increase our non-oil revenue. We are looking at trying to get more money from the various government agencies, policing their collection and trying to get more money from them. We will also look at keeping down our recurrent budget. That...
FG Unveils Six Trillion Naira Budget For 2016
Posted on 22:28 by Steve Igbokwe
Based on a projected crude oil price of $38 per barrel and production of 2.2 million barrels per day, the Federal Government has proposed a budget of six trillion naira for the 2016 fiscal year.
Briefing State newsmen after an emergency meeting of the Federal Executive Council, FEC, presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Monday , Minister of National Planning and Budget, Udoma Udo Udoma, said that in view of the current economic realities, FEC predicated the budget on $38 per barrel of crude oil as...
I won't work with Yahaya Bello - Faleke
Posted on 14:40 by Steve Igbokwe
The deputy governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC in the just concluded election in Kogi State, Hon Abiodun Faleke has vowed not to work with the governor-elect, Yahaya Bello.
To this end, Faleke declared at a stakeholders meeting in Kabba, Kogi State that he would not be available for inauguration on January 27, 2016.
He also said that he has resolved to pursue the legal option to restore the Audu/Faleke ticket to a logical conclusion.
“I will not disappoint Prince Abubakar Audu. I, James Abiodun Faleke will not be there...
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)