The Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Alfred Achebe recently spoke on the state of affairs of the country.
In his speech during his investiture as the 7th Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, the royal father lamented the profligacy of the present generation which he said would be borne by future generations.
See the speech below.
”We may have lost our bearing as a nation with the discovery of petroleum in the 50s. A false sense of national wealth has turned us into a nation of frolickers and hustlers, who are fighting one another for a greater...
Sunday, 22 November 2015
We didn't get Senate-approved $1b arms fund — Former Minister
Posted on 00:20 by Steve Igbokwe
A former minister in the government of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan has declared that the administration did not receive the one billion US dollars for which it sought and received the approval of the 7th Senate for the procurement of arms to fight Boko Haram.
“Initially , the vote was about $900m but the leadership of the 7th Senate advised the Executive to ask for $1billion to accommodate unexpected financial challenges in fighting Boko Haram.
“The Ministry of Finance ought to write letters to those advancing the loan and those companies supplying...
Saturday, 21 November 2015
We won't bomb civilians in Sambisa - Air Force
Posted on 13:02 by Steve Igbokwe
The Nigerian Air Force, NAF has assured that it is conducting its airstrikes in Sambisa forest with due consideration for the safety of civilian targets.
This assurance was given on Saturday by Air Commodore Isiaka Amao, Air Component Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole in an interview with News Agency of Nigeria, NAN.
He said that the air force always carries out surveillance missions before embarking on bombing raids.
‘’We are also aware that the terrorists usually keep abducted women and children among them; so we carry out series of intelligence-gathering...
Friday, 20 November 2015
Jonathan Denies $2b Arms Contracts
Posted on 22:54 by Steve Igbokwe
Former President Goodluck Jonathan has debunked claims by the current administration that he awarded contracts of two billion US dollars for the procurement of arms for the military.
Speaking on Friday in Washington DC where he attended an event, Jonathan queried;
“Where did that kind of money come from? I did not award any $2 billion contract for procurement of weapons."
He complained that some people were out to rubbish his achievements in office, pointing out that there was no way Nigerian budget could accommodate such a loss.
“In Nigeria,...
Over 20000 Security Personnel Deployed For Kogi Election
Posted on 22:54 by Steve Igbokwe
No less than 20,000 security personnel comprising, 11,000 regular police, 5,000 Mobile Policemen and 6,000 Civil Defence Corps personnel have been deployed to monitor today's governorship election in Kogi State.
The Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Solomon Arase disclosed this at a stakeholders' meeting in Lokoja earlier in the week.
He assured Kogi people that the police will ensure the security of lives and property in the state during and after the elections.
He also assured the political parties and candidates of a level playing ground in...
Dasuki, Others May Forfeit Assets To FG
Posted on 21:53 by Steve Igbokwe
In accordance with the enabling Act of Parliament, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC may seize the assets of former National Security Adviser, Col Sambo Dasuki, and some ex-military chiefs allegedly fingered in the misappropriation of N644 billion meant for arms procurement.
Sources said the anti-graft agency plans to invoke the temporary assets forfeiture clause as part of the ongoing probe of the arms procurement deals.
“The EFCC may invoke Assets Forfeiture clause to seize the properties of Dasuki and other Service Chiefs...
Fake Arms Deals : Ex-Military Chiefs To Make Refunds?
Posted on 21:53 by Steve Igbokwe
Some of the former military chiefs and officers being investigated by the Committee On Arms Procurement for multi-billion naira arms deals have volunteered to refund some money for unexecuted contracts.
A source close to the investigations said that ; “About four of such former officers have offered to make refunds. I think Dasuki does not know the extent to which the panel has gone in probing the arms deals.
“When the case gets to court, Nigerians will appreciate the depth of the investigation by the panel...
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)