Tuesday 28 July 2015

Ex Green Eagles Keeper, Peter Fregene In Pains & Despair

These are not the best of times for ex Eagles safe hands Peter Fregene. The former national team goalkeeper was suddenly went down with stroke several years ago and has been running from pillar to post for a solution.

It has been a tale of pain and despair for him and his family ever since.

Here are details of Peter Fregene's travails as rendered by Punch.

He was regarded as one of the safest hands in Nigeria’s football history and was nicknamed the Flying Cat by his colleagues and fans, due to his quality as a goalkeeper when he manned the post for the Green Eagles in the late 1960s, 70s and early 1980s. But that Flying Cat, Peter Fregene, has become a shadow of himself and may be living his proverbial ‘ninth life’.
Fregene started his football career with Leventis Football Club and ECN, after winning the Mar Anthony Gold Cup with the Midwest team in the 1960s. But he began his professional career and came into limelight when he joined the national team as the first-choice goalkeeper and participated in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico.
He featured in the national team till 1971 and later joined Stationery Stores of Lagos before he was recalled in 1982 for the Africa Cup of Nations.
Fregene, now 68, revealed with despair on his sick bed, which he had been pinned to since he suffered a stroke five years ago, how his passion and joy were cut short and replaced with unending pain by the seemingly mysterious sickness.
He said, “I did not have any accident. In October, 2002, one of my cousins had a similar problem so I decided to bring him in. Some people asked why I took responsibility of him, since they perceived him as not being a good man but I decided to give him a chance. During the period in which I nursed him, I took him to the bathroom, bathed him and brought him back to the room where he was staying then I went in to take my bath. But after my bath, I realised I could not come out of the bathroom.
“When I called out to my wife for help, she initially thought I was joking. But when she saw that I really could not move my legs, she aided me to the sitting room. I was taken to Aragba, a village in Delta, and later moved to the University College Hospital, Ibadan, but its workers were on strike. One Dr. Griffield, who was a consultant at the hospital, took me to his clinic. However, after spending seven months in the clinic, undergoing several scans, I was admitted to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Edo State, based on the response to a letter written by my daughter to the Delta State Government.”
But despite several interventions by well-meaning Nigerians, including the immediate past Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, whom he said had sponsored a surgical operation for a diagnosed spinal cord injury in 2009, he has remained paralysed from the waist to his feet, and bedridden ever since.
He said that he feels recurring “peppery sensation” in his legs and back after a fall that caused one of his ribs to protrude from his stomach. He also experiences difficulty in breathing, speaking and excretion.
He said, “Governor Fashola, being a man who has the good spirit and passion for sports, instructed that I should be taken to Lagos. I was taken straight to Reddington Hospital, Victoria Island, where they diagnosed that my spinal cord was broken and I did a major operation. I was later placed in intensive care in his guest house where I was attended to by nurses and physiotherapists, from February to October 2009.
“Although I was not better after the surgery, I was just discharged by one Dr. Aleshinloye, who was the Chief Medical Director then, with many drugs that I could not afford. When I asked them to allow me to thank the Governor for his hospitality, he refused, saying that he would relay the message to him. But Segun Odegbami came with the doctor and gave me N500,000 and that was all.”
Although Fregene featured in one of the episodes of the Who Wants to be a Millionaire television game show, he only managed to win a N500,000 prize on compassionate ground, which he said was spent on the payment of huge debts and medical bills.
In fact, the family had sold some of their household property just to make ends meet. One of them, an indoor device which was donated by the former Lagos State Governor to aid the former goalkeeper’s rehabilitation and valued at N100,000 was sold at a paltry sum of N15,000.
He explained that he spends almost a whole day lying on his back with a whistle, which he had used as a coach but now served as a means of calling the attention of his wife and children.
“Are you asking about that whistle? It used to be my coaching tool. But because of my condition, when I cannot do anything, I blow it once to call my son and three times to call my wife when I need their help to use the toilet or other things,” he said with tearful eyes, glancing at the whistle hanging by a window very close to his bedside.
His condition had also subjected his family to a life of hardship and penury. He had been evicted from his former residence by the landlord in 2013, when he could no longer pay his rent, before a relative assisted him with a two-bedroom apartment in a suburb where many of his documents have been destroyed due to flooding during the rainy season.
While his 48-year-old wife, Tina, goes from house to house in search of food, his 16-year-old son engages in any menial work, such as being a labourer at building sites, where he carries bags of cement and blocks, in order to assist the family.
Mrs. Fregene said that they survive from hand to mouth on a daily basis, through donations from few friends and church members.
She said that she sees parties and social events organised in the neighbourhood as opportunities to beg for food for the family, even as an uninvited guest, a situation she said gives her sorrow.

Source : The Punch

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Cookies


We use Cookies to store information about visitor preferences and to record user specific data on visits and pages the user views in order to provide a custom experience.

With regard to third party advertisers, Abujacitynews has no access or control over these cookies.
You should review the respective privacy policies on third party as servers for more information on their practices and how to opt out.

If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through you web browser options. Instructions for doing this and other cookie related management can be found on the specific web browser's websites

About

Links


This blog contains links to other blog/websites. Please be informed that Abujacity news is not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites. When you leave this blog, please read the privacy policy of every website you visit as this privacy policy applies only to Abujacitynews Blog.

Earn More

PropellerAds

Pages